Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Miller’s Ale House in North Miami Beach didn't deliver on its promise

My experience at Duffy’s Sports Grill had been positive, so I decided to check out Miller’s Ale House, a sports bar in North Miami Beach, to see what they had to offer in the burger realm.

Miller’s Ale House is arguably one of the biggest sports bar chains in the country. While most locations are in Florida, others are also spread out in Georgia, Illinois, New York and Pennsylvania.

I’ve been to two so far, the NMB one and another one in Orlando. Both looked exactly the same: a larger version of Flannigan’s—with its wooden walls and all-American feel—minus the fishing artifacts plus more TV screens.

The burger menu was extremely uninspired and claimed all burgers weighted 8 ounces, which I soon found out it wasn’t even close to that. Here are NMB Ale House’s burgers:

Basic Burger: half pound (8 ounces) of fresh broiled sirloin.

Cheese Burger: choice of Swiss, American, cheddar or provolone

British Burger: topped with swiss cheese and bacon strips.

Bistro Burger: stacked high with cheddar cheese, bacon, sliced pickle, an onion ring and bistro sauce served on a toasted ciabatta bun.

Turkey Burger: no description other than “seasoned to perfection.”

I had the Bistro Burger



Let’s start with the bread. On paper, a ciabatta bun seemed like a creative and unusual option that could have added a layer of garlicky flavor to the burger, but in practice it was a total failure. The bun was tough and quite dry.



The patty was tiny, closer to 6 ounces than 8 ounces. Although it did have some nice charbroiled flavor the execution was totally off—the meat was cooked “well done” making it very dry.

The high points were the bacon and the bistro sauce.



The bacon was good because there was a lot of it and it was perfectly cooked; not too crispy that when you take a bite it breaks in pieces and not too raw. The bistro sauce tasted like a mix between Argentine chimichurri and ranch dressing--it was the star of the burger.

Conceptually, the Bistro Burger seemed like a good idea, but NMB Ale House completely failed to deliver on their promise. I’m sad to say it was by far the worst burger I’ve had since I started the blog.

This is what others are saying about NMB Ale House:

Reviews on Yelp!:

Ivonne Marie C.- I ate at the North Miami Ale House for the second time in my life last night. It was not bad, it was not great. Our waitress was nice, very friendly, perhaps overly friendly. I ordered the zinger tacos, which is a new menu item. They were good. I should have thought that I'm not a big fan of buffalo sauce, but hey, my hubs is and I saved one for him, which he had after his burger and he loved it. Thought it was better than the burger itself. It had medium sauce, and according to him it was the right mix of spicy and mild to not cause your stomach to explode. He had their main burger, can't remember the name right now, the ones that comes w/the onion ring. It was alright, I've tasted better - but don't take it from me, I'm not a burger person.
David G.- I was looking for some good, cheap bar food after kayaking all day at Oleta State Park. I really didn't expect too much... maybe a good burger. It's funny how bad this place was

Reviews on Urbanspoon:
Ric Stolz-I've had a couple burgers and some salads here. The salads were surprisingly fresh. The burgers were ok. My sweet potato fries were cool-ish, but otherwise good. The service is lacking - it always takes forever to put in your order. Getting it takes even longer. Getting your check is a hassle. And the staff is always trying to up-sell you - "NO! For the tenth time, I don't want a shot."

No comments:

Post a Comment